Saturday, October 27, 2012

The “YO” Dadi


After an amazing vacation at home, a fun filled Navratri, I was back to Mumbai yesterday. Back to the mundane life of work. To relax myself after the trip, i thought of going for a hair message and hair spa today at O’Hair.

O’hair has always been my favourite salon, reasonable in cost with great service. Well the salon as usual was crowded with all the modern gujjus of Matunga central; thank god i had taken an appointment. After 2 mins of waiting, my attendant Rewaz took me to my seat.
While having my oil message a gujju lady, i guess in her 50’s, sat at a place adjacent to me. The lady came to the salon for hair trim. What caught my attention to her was her huge diamond nose stud glittering in the brightly lit salon. And yes, how did i know she is gujju, her gujju saree, typical type of jewellery that she adorn and while i was guessing it she spoke in Guajarati to someone sitting nearby, a mystery person, as i was unable to see him/ her.

My tendency to avoid gujjus made me concentrate on my head message again, I closed my eyes went back to the do not disturb, i am relaxing mode. Well this mode is when i avoid people, noises and my thoughts to disturb me, all i do is just stop and detach myself from the world around. After around 10 mins in this mode, i felt something vibrating on my head and opened my eyes. While Rewaz continued my head and back message, I happened to notice the lady again. Her trim was done and the attendant now was blow drying her hair. Now the lady saw me noticing her and gave a smile. I reverted back. To avoid the awkwardness of noticing the lady again and again, not because i liked her but coz of her nose ring, i saw myself in the mirror then my attendant then the people sitting behind when finally i got a ping on watsapp and thankfully sometime passed by.

I dint realize that the lady was not looking at me when i was done with my chit chat. Then i heard her saying “mane bhi aa karavu che” to the mystery person. A teenage girl in a funky pink t-shirt and denim shorts peeked to see me. She smiled and said “hair message pacchi kyarek karavsu, tamari haircut and setting thai gai dadi”.
We say generation gap, but i have often noticed this that many grandparents that they change and adapt to the modern lifestyle and thinking because of their bonding with their grandchildren. It seems when the grandparents retire and become friends with grandchildren, they adapt to this “Yo” generation, transforming into the “Yo” dada’s and dadi’s.

While i thought about this, the voice of the teen age girl “YO Dadi”, i looked at them, the girl was showing something to her dadi on her cell and i realized she had said “JO Dadi”.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha :) a really YO dadi :)
    n hope it made u smile :) tc

    ReplyDelete